We connect people with resources propelling individuals and families to reach their fullest potential creating a thriving community. In order to achieve our mission, we invest in programs, community partnerships, and volunteer engagement in youth and family success, economic vitality and health and wellness.
Our vision is a vibrant and inclusive greater Mercer County whereby all can thrive. The strategic priorities of the organization include:
• Increase and diversify revenue
• Increase organizational visibility and demonstrate value proposition
• Build and expand community impact products (programs + services)
• Demonstrate commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion
Reporting to and in partnership with the President and CEO, the Vice President of Development & Strategic Partnerships will spearhead development efforts as UWGMC continues to expand its corporate engagement program, develops an individual donor base, and grows its relationship with philanthropic foundations.
The Vice President will build on the standard United Way Fundraising model of workplace giving while implementing best practices in non-profit fundraising. The Vice President will work closely with the CEO, board members, staff, and other stakeholders on all elements of fundraising.
Tasks include, but are not limited to:
▪ Developing and executing UWGMC’s strategic fundraising plan including meeting goals to expand and deepen corporate engagement to generate at least half of all contributed revenues.
▪ Working in collaboration with the Community Impact Team (Programming) to identify programs for foundation support, including in some cases, writing grant proposals. Stewarding foundation relationships to generate approximately 20% of contributed revenues.
▪ Overseeing the annual workplace campaigns to generate approximately 20% of contributed revenues.
▪ Managing the direct mail appeal which includes working cross-functionally for timely implementation.
▪ Building a base of individual donors and a major donors program including identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship to eventually generate approximately 10% of contributed revenues.
▪ Supervising and mentoring 2 direct reports: Director of Strategic Partnerships and Director of Volunteer Engagement.
▪ Working with the Marketing Team to create a donor-brand experience.
▪ Developing and overseeing a limited number of fundraising events to enhance the individual campaign(s).
▪ Providing development updates to the Board as well as staffing the Board Development Committee.
▪ Tracking sponsorship request and proposals and writing reports for foundation and corporate funders.
▪ Representing UWGMC at networking events in order to identify and cultivate prospective donors and corporate supporters – note, flexibility is required. Events can occur early mornings, evenings, and weekends.
Qualifications & Experience:
▪ Education: BA (required), MA or CFRE (a plus)
▪ 7-8 years of experience in development in a non-profit organization with robust institutional giving programs
▪ Experience in developing and stewarding grant proposals and sponsorship programs
▪ Experience with creating and building individual giving campaigns
▪ Familiarity with volunteer engagement. Direct volunteer management experience and converting volunteers to donors a plus
▪ Demonstrated excellence in organizational, managerial, and communication skills
▪ Familiarity with donor databases
▪ Prior experience in a United Way or federated agency a plus
▪ Event management experience a plus
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate the following core competencies:
• Cross-Functional Capability and Collaboration
• Effective Fundraising
• Strategic Relationship Management
• Outward Turning
• Entrepreneurial and Innovative
• Business Development and Sales
• Volunteer Management
This is an exempt position; salary commensurate with experience.
Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume to the attention of:
Marian Stern, Philanthropic Consultant
Write “Vice President of Development & Strategic Partnerships” in subject line.
The United Way of Greater Mercer County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Sign up for Emails